Power North Blog

Learn more about our members, the work they do, and the communities they make better every day.

Power North Electricians Update Bakery at Miller Hill Super One Foods

Amidst World War II, Tony and Ida Miner scrapped enough money together in 1943 to open a tavern. Business seemed fine but the couple noticed that their customers would often leave early to pick up bread and milk before the local grocery store closed its doors. To adapt, they started selling bread and added a cooler for milk. The upgrade paid off and paved the way for a thriving grocery business – Super One Foods

Just like in 1943, the modern day Super One team realized that the Miller Hill location at 5401 Burning Tree Road in Duluth, Minnesota needed an upgrade. Its bakery area was outdated and needed an overhaul. The new area should be designed more effectively, have all new equipment, and have all its electricity proponents brought up to the latest in safety standards. 

Super One commissioned Lake Superior Energy Company, including journeyman Michael Jezierski, for the work. The project will take a few months to complete. The team is hard at work and has overcome some early challenges. 

“Yeah, there’s always little things that come up once you start demolishing old stuff,” explains Jezierski. “But you figure it out and find solutions. This overhaul is going to be great once it’s done.” 

The electricians have been making steady progress. They have already installed the new electrical panel, and they are now working on wiring the wall sockets, ovens, refrigerators, and other equipment. They are also installing new lighting fixtures throughout the bakery.

The new bakery is expected to be completely revamped by the end of 2023. The electricians are confident that they will be able to complete the project on time and within budget. They are excited to see the new bakery up and running, and are proud to be a part of this major project. Once finished, the bakery will be able to serve fresh bread to customers – just like the original owners did in 1943.